Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z was very different from most books I read and I am glad I gave it a try.

The legendary Fawcett who ventured into the Amazon Rainforest several times did not reappear after his last expedition in 1925 and to this day no one is one hundred percent sure what happened to Fawcett. Mr. Grann explores Fawcett's life, expeditions, and writings to work at piecing together this legendary mystery. 

While the writing was good at times I had issues with the way the chapters flowed. The Lost City of Z started out with a bang then slowed down a good deal before picking up. I do understand background information was needed however Mr. Grann wrote about things such as buying camping gear for his expedition which seemed unneeded. 

My other issue was some of the details were a bit too intense for me. While I knew the Amazon was deadly I had no clue so many things could kill you and most of them are insects. At times I was gagging reading about what various insects were doing to people and pack animals. 

I do not want to spoil anything so I cannot say much about the story but the story of Fawcett was well presented and Mr. Grann does come up with a strong idea of what occurred to the legendary explorer. Since it is two mysteries in on Mr. Grann also makes sure that ample time is given to the mystery Fawcett was chasing, the legendary City of Z.


No comments:

Post a Comment