Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door was not nearly as interesting as Anna and the French Kiss.

Lola drove me crazy, I get that the author wanted to write about a unique girl who was struggling to learn about herself but I just did not like Lola. I am not sure if it was the writing that made Lola come off as annoying or if she was just that immature. Heartbroken at fifteen by the boy next door Lola struggled to move on after the neighbors moved. Instead of embracing who she was, a girl with a unique way of looking at life Lola searched for someone to make her feel accepted. Thus Lola found Max and what a nightmare Max turned out to be.

Without a doubt Max is the reason I kept reading the story, I wanted to see him get a good solid punch to the face. Twenty-two and a total control freak Max is without a doubt one of the best written male characters I have ever seen. I loathed Max even though I did not like Lola I kept screaming at her to dump him as I read.

Cricket was different like Lola but did not come off as annoying just desperate which again was believable. A smart guy who was into inventing Cricket had a hard time connecting with people and never got over his crush on Lola but was unable to act upon it to due to his family having to move. At times Cricket was clueless and other times too smart. I think this was due to Cricket getting caught up in his own world too much at times.

The writing was well done but the main reason I finished was my hope of seeing Max getting a punch to the face. I was not overly fond of the story being in the United States and not Paris, that had been one of my favorite things about Anna and the French Kiss. I did like seeing familiar characters as side characters and they actually fit well with the story. Despite not enjoying Lola and the Boy Next Door as much as I had hope I do plan on reading Isla and the Happily Ever After.

No comments:

Post a Comment