Monday, September 7, 2015

The Ghost Bride

I have been wanting to read The Ghost Bride for awhile so when I saw it at the library I could not resist grabbing it. The Ghost Bride was nothing like I thought it would be and I am still not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Li Lan was a diverse character, with a deceased mother and a father that lived in an opium drug haze Li Lan did not seem as limited as most females in Mayala. Constantly questioning things Li Lan never accepts that she should know less because she is a girl and refuses to back down leaving her affairs in the hands of her father and perspective husbands. From the little I know of Chinese history this does seems a bit unbelievable since women were not suppose to be outspoken yet I did like that about Li Lan.

I loved the writing and the creative ways Yangsze Choo combined customs and beliefs of Mayala into the story without making it boring or dull. The writing was just smooth and I never once stumbled reading something that was being explained and felt it was out of place. Since I love the writing I would consider reading something else by Yangsze Choo if she continues to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment