Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Sin Eater's Daughter - The Sin Eater's Daughter #1

Despite giving myself time to think about The Sin Eater's Daughter I am still unsure how I feel about the story. I really wanted to like the story but it did not just make the cut in my opinion.

Twylla is one of the weakest characters I have ever read about. She does not grow in any way that I was able to see. Instead of learning to stand on her own she just runs to hide behind various men and then whines when the men she hides behind use her. It was painful to read about how naive and stupid she was at various times. 

Merek, the crown prince, was annoying as heck. Constantly Merek promised to protect Twylla and then rushed to her begging him to protect her. It was like Merek had multiple personality disorder since he switched around so quickly with what he wanted. I am not sure if this was intentional since the bloodline was kept pure by royals marrying close family members. If it was intentional it was not done properly since never a comment or thought about how Merek suffered from pure blood.

Lief, Twylla's guard, seemed like he could be interesting at first but then it got a bit strange. People who defy the Queen die and yet Lief did not seem to fear the Queen or care that he did things that were not proper. 

The Queen reminded me the entire time of Levana from the Lunar Chronicles and that drove me crazy. Besides being cruel I again think the Queen suffered madness from pure blood.

The Sin Eater's Daughter is one big love triangle and the poorest one I have ever seen done. Twylla jumped around just wanting who could ever protect her the best to be with her. I am not even sure she loves either Merek or Lief since it came off she was using them more then anything.

I do not want to give spoilers but the ending was one of the worst I have ever encountered in the first book of a trilogy. The epilogue threw me a bit as well, seems odd to have one since it is the first book in the series. 

The writing was not bad but not great. The end did add something I am curious about so I am really torn if I will continue the series or not. All in all The Sin Eater's Daughter was a huge let down and nothing like I expected it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment