Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Giver - The Giver Quartet #1

I first read The Giver when I was in middle school and since that first reading I have read it at least a handful of times. The title suits the book well since every time I read it I receive something different from the reading.

Jonas is a very interesting character. Having followed the rules and lived in a society of sameness where everyone is well cared for and supposedly content with their life Jonas never thought to question anything until he is chosen to be the new Receiver of Memory. From that point on Jonas starts to change drastically as a character and it is interesting to see how someone who never had free choice suddenly deals with the many choices in their life.

I wish more was written about The Giver since he is such an interesting character. I do understand why he was in the background though and it leaves me free to imagine more about him in my own way.

The writing is wonderful and flows smoothly.

No doubt at some point in the future I will read The Giver and see a new take on the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment