Monday, January 31, 2022

A Flicker in the Dark

 

I saw A Flicker in the Dark listed as a new book on the elibrary so I figured I would give it a try. 


I understand this is Stacy Willingham's first book and it sort of shows in several areas.


Chole acts like she has it all together, a successful psychologist with her own private practice. Always eager to appear normal and fit it in it becomes painfully clear that Chole is hiding something. You quickly learn she is the daughter of a famous serial killer and doing all she can to keep that part of her life buried deep. In a short while you quickly learn Chole is incapable of dealing with life without a form of aid, in this case she chooses prescription drugs. This leads to the story being confusing since you are wondering if Chole is really experiencing things or just doped up on some narcotic. 


Mrs. Willingham has a good editor since I did not notice grammar mistakes or things like that. Despite the story line being all over the place I was never confused about what was going on. I saw no growth in Chole she kept making the same mistakes. Also I am HORRIBLE at solving mysteries I can count on one hand the number of mysteries in books I have solved (including this one) and I figured out everything. Nothing was a surprise to me at all which was highly disappointing. I do have some hope for Mrs. Willingham since she knows how to write a strong lead character, I would like a bit more given to the victims though they just felt a bit lifeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment