Friday, January 28, 2022

A Torch Against the Night

 

A friend gave me A Torch Against the Night along with the rest of the series. The friend was just lacking the first book which the library had thankfully.

Another hard review to write, I really want to like the story but I struggle with it. I do not care for some of the more violent scenes especially scenes of torture even if they are sort of skipped over. It does not sit well with me. Due to that I would not classify this as young adult at all.


Laia is determined to save her brother no matter what but she knows she will need help that is where Elias comes into play. A former mask who was one of the best she hopes his knowledge and skill will be the key to freeing her brother from the most secure prison in the empire. 

Elias knows his time is limited due to the commander's underhanded technique of poison. Unable to fight at full strength Elias pushes himself hard knowing every day matters when it comes to getting Darin out of the prison. Despite his best intentions he also knows he must keep his emotions for Laia at a distance. Unable to stop hurting everyone he cares about Elias tries to embrace the fact he will die soon.


I really like the side characters the most. Despite being in the story briefly all of them have a clear personality and mission. The added mystery aspect was nice as well, several turns and twists happened that I was not expecting. Despite wanting to continue the series I had a bunch of library books come in at once and need to focus on reading those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment