Friday, January 21, 2022

Still Life with Murder

 

Still Life with Murder continues the trend of me choosing to read the oldest book downloaded on my Nook. It was most likely a Free Friday book. I almost gave up on Still Life with Murder, I was pretty tired when I started it and the first chapter did not grab my attention. I am glad I restarted it though since I really enjoyed the story and mystery.


Nell is all around awesome, I love how she tries to do the right thing but also is torn between duty, her reputation, and her love for her charge. Having lucked into a job as a governess Nell knows she is lucky and has risen far above the station she was born into. Her position becomes less secure when her employers wife begs her to go visit her estranged son who is being charged with murder. Unable to deny the kind lady Nell visits the ex dr who demands she go away but determined to help out her friend Nell soon finds herself surrounded by lies, truth, and a murder. 


The writing was a bit different then I was expecting despite feeling modern most of the time random Old English was thrown into the mix which did sort of throw off my reading pace a bit. I like the character development and how all the characters made mistakes. Some of the characters felt so lifelike I could imagine having tea in a room with them and carrying on a conversation. I did check to see if the library had the second book, Murder in a Mill Town, and it does not. I will have to save up for a Nook Gift card so I can enjoy the second book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment