Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The Novive

 

I was browsing my to read list on the library website and saw The Novice was available so I decided to give it a try.

Fletcher has always felt like he does not belong, left outside the gates as a tiny baby with no clothing for warmth he knows he is lucky to be alive. Taken in and raised by the local blacksmith Fletcher has a life of hard work but is happy to irk out a living with his father figure Brendon. Easily one of the most exciting times is when traders come to the town and one day a trader with rare items appears. Dazzling the crowd with treasures from the front lines of battle Fletcher ignores most of the items except for a book. A book that was written by a summoner who was battling on the front lines. Able to read and eager to always learn Fletcher is drawn to the book. Through no fault of his own Fletcher makes an enemy of the richest man in town when another boy is hurt, knowing he will be forced to take the blame Fletcher flees the town heading to the capitol. Once in the capitol Fletcher hopes to blend in and find a job that falls through when a summoner spots him and gives him the opportunity of a lifetime.

I did see Fletcher grow some, I like how he kept making mistakes but learned from them. It made him feel real and like he could actually be harmed from bad decisions. The demons are interesting they remind me of Pokemon in a way which is what the author has stated is his intention.

Despite enjoying the book I did not find myself going to bed early every night to read, I have just been a bit  burnt out on reading. The story flowed well and a vivid world with magic, demons, and unforgettable characters was built. I will read the second book but I have to work on some of the other library books I have first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment