Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir was recommended by a friend. Neither the cover nor the short description from my friend really made me want to try it but I figured I would go for it.

One thing interesting about The Chilbury Ladies' Choir is that the story was told entirely from writings, letters between family and friends, journals, telegrams, and newspapers. This did make it hard for me to connect with some of the characters. Plus I had a really hard time believing some of the letters, it just felt too much like someone was writing a formal story in the letters.

I did enjoy all the ladies and the different ways they saw life. Each one was unique in their own way so I did not feel like I was reading a story about a town full of the same person. A couple of the characters drove me crazy like Kitty. She was suppose to be thirteen but she acted far younger in my opinion more like she was eight or nine. I like the drama that went on between some of the women and how one of the meeker women of the town evolved into a force to be reckoned with.

While I would never seek out another story along these lines I would not say no to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment