Sunday, December 13, 2015

Illusionarium

Oh my hunt for a steampunk novel I came across Illusionarium. 

I instantly adored Jonathon, working hard to be a surgeon he is not the usual type of male I come across in books. Studying science to learn how diseases and medicine work with his father who is renowned through the land as a brilliant medical professor Jonathon is stunned and in awe when the King arrives asking for help. A black death is plaguing the land killing all women who become ill on the sixth day. The Queen has fallen ill from it and thus the King is demanding a cure from Jonathon's father. With a time crunch the King says fantillium will be the key to making the cure in time. Using fantillium time can be controlled by a master illusionist and the cure found. Jonathon happens to fit that description. 

From the start I fell in love with the world Heather Dixon wove, from the elegant writing to the stunning characters I did not want the story to end. Sadly around the seventy percent mark things started to fall apart. The plot began to repeat itself and it felt like I was reading parts I had already read. Even the world became less appealing and it felt like things were just sort of thrown together in the end. While their was a conclusion that left no major questions I just was not happy with the overall ending. Huge build up for something major and suddenly just the end which was disappointing.

1 comment:

  1. I've had this on my TBR for some time. I was first drawn to it from the gorgeous cover.
    The ending sounds like it was a big let-down. :-(
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a great holiday season.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete