Saturday, September 30, 2023

The Lipstick Bureau

 

I do not recall where I got The Lipstick Bureau from but I have liked other stories loosely based on history previously so I figured I would give it a try. 


While the story jumps between several points of view I feel like the story was mainly told from Niki's point of view and she is the one I felt had the most sense of completion with her story. Since Niki is based loosely on a real woman it is really hard to critique any actions she made because it was a real person's choice but I do not feel that Mrs. Gable convened who Niki was as a person overly well. Despite being a fan of breaking the rules constantly and enjoying smoking Niki did not come off as a strong character who was well rounded and developed. 


I did managed to finish the book without skimming so I will say it is a fair read. I do appreciate the consistency in the chapter length, saying whose point of view it was at the start of the chapter, and being clear when transitions were being made between time periods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment