Monday, May 15, 2023

Dawnlands

 

I won an advanced reader copy of Dawnlands in November of 2022 and just not finished it. This is one dense read but a wonderful read with well rounded characters. 


While I have not read the first two books in the series I was not lost as to what is going on but I did major in history which was helpful for keeping the nobles and royals in order. I loved how each character was their own but woven into a full story that kept me wanting to turn pages. One of the best thing is that Mrs. Gregory always includes a date and location so I never once got lost as to where the story was moving to. All the transitions were seamless and well articulated.


I loved the Livia she is such a conniving thing and I could totally picture the wheels in her head turning as she thought out every issue well in advance to make things in her favor. No matter if it is her son, lover, friends, the queen, or husband Livia will do what it takes to get ahead in the game of court. Without a doubt she was my favorite character. 


The inclusion of a female Indian was interesting as well. I really wish that more of her people with their rich customs was mentioned but I understand that is was not the right story for that. Rowan was my second favorite character. 


Like usual Mrs. Gregory writes about strong female characters that are molded into the time period perfectly. She is a master at painting a well rounded picture that clearly takes lots of research, a wonderful editor, and many hours of outlining the flow of the writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment