Thursday, January 12, 2023

A Walk Along the Beach

 

This review will contain spoilers. A Walk Along the Beach is nothing like any other Debbie Macomber book I have read before. When I was about half way through I had to check the author to make sure it was the correct author. Since my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in November this was not a good book for me to read. 


Willa took on responsibility too young when her mother passed, instead of being a big sister to Harper she turned into her mother when her brother ran off to the service and her dad turned to the bottle. Looking back Harper realizes how lucky she is that her sister beat leukemia and is now healthy, her brother is happily engaged, and Willa's coffee shop is doing a great business. All that changes though when Harper's leukemia comes back in the form of a rare tumor in her lung. 


I am used to Mrs. Macomber writing happy books with dashes of humor. Not serious and not sad books. It totally blew me over when Harper died from cancer and I sitting crying in the oncologist's waiting room while reading the story. Not sure if this is a fluke book or if Mrs. Macomber has turned to more serious stories. All in all I think I need a break from Mrs. Macomber. 

No comments:

Post a Comment