Sunday, June 12, 2022

A Sky Beyond the Storm

 

A Sky Beyond the Storm is the final book in the An Ember in the Ashes series. It took me a long time to finish since I had to keep taking breaks to get my emotions in check. I should have known it would be a roller-coaster of emotion since the friend who gave it to me loves when characters die.


The world is breaking, everyone who dies feeds the maelstrom and it is only a matter of time until enough people die and the storm breaks free. Laia will do anything to keep that from happening even giving up her humanity if she must. 


Helen knows war and death yet people around her are determined to remind her she is more then The Blood Shrike. Wanting all her emotions to go away Helen is content to just fight on forgetting all those she has loved died. 


Elias is worried there are not nearly enough dead to pass to the other world and thus his job is not being done properly. Lost in an emotionless void Elias seeks answers as to where the dead are going. 


My biggest complaint with the series is no index with names of characters and a brief biography for each one of them. Along with no glossary of terms for words the author used that were either made up or in a different language. This use to be common practice and it needs to come back.


The story ended, I was left with no questions. The characters will stay with me for a long time though. The world was richly written with a well defined map which I highly appreciated. While I really loved the story I am not sure I will seek out more work by Sabaa Tahir since so many characters die throughout the span of the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment