Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Golden Son

The Golden Son was another gift in the giant box of books I got from a friend. I choose one at random. I almost gave up after a couple chapters but I am glad I did not.

Anil is the favorite son of his father and treated like a golden boy. Provided with best education growing up it is clear Anil will become a doctor who studies in America. Honored and blessed to have the chance to study in America Anil is beyond excited to start this new journey in his life. Used to being the top student from medical school in India Anil is in for a shock when it becomes clear he is not a favorite in America or even really noticed. Struggling with learning to live in a foreign country while keeping his heritage from India Anil learns to walk a fine line as he progresses in his education.

A really slow start into the story, it takes time to build up the characters and to get to know the plot line. Once I had a feel for the characters I really started to enjoy them and immerse myself into their lives. Never having living in a different country it was interesting to see the point of view for Anil as he adjusted to America's pace of life and imagine how he felt when he decided he did not belong in India or America at several points in the story. While I would not actively seek out another book by Shilpi Somaya Gowda I would not say no if one happened to come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment