Friday, October 26, 2018

Fablehaven

I have wanted to read Fablehaven for a long time, ever since I heard it was the new craze for middle school children. However the waiting list at the library has been crazy long and I had been on it for a long time so when I saw that an ebook was available I quickly checked it out. Surprisingly I was not let down, I enjoyed the story immensely and even convinced my husband to start reading the series.

Kendra and Seth are not excited at all at the thought of spending time with their mysterious grandparents while their parents go on a cruise. Just wanting the time to be over they are immediately bored when they arrive at the remote house. However Grandpa has no intention of letting the children be bored, setting them up with plenty of things to play with and an amusing treasure hunt for Kendra the children soon become thrilled by the many diversions offered to them. However it seems something is still missing and they want to get to the bottom of it.

The story was told from Kendra's point of view for several chapters, so many in fact I thought it would only be told from her point view and it was a bit of a surprise when it switched to Seth's point of view. I like Kendra, I can relate to her in a lot of ways. She loves to follow the rules and be the good girl all the time. It is hard for her to let go and have a good time without fearing the consequences.

Seth seems like a typical little boy, he likes to get into mischief, argue with his elder sister, and explore especially when the places are off limits for exploring. Since little of the story is told from Seth's point of view it is harder to get a good feel on his character. That may change as the series progresses though.

Even though the story is written for a younger audience I enjoyed it a lot. Well rounded, thought out, with no real gaping plot holes. I immediately put my name down for the second book in the series and eagerly checked every day to see if it was my turn yet. At this point I plan on reading the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment