Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Last Camellia

 

I always get so excited to find a book in the local free library that I did not put in that I do sort of a happy book dance. The Last Camellia has a lovely cover and since I needed something to read I grabbed it. 


Normally I avoid books that talk about two time periods at once since authors seem to be unable to distinguish between the two times clearly and the two characters often feel like the same person just in different clothes. Thankfully that was not the case with Mrs. Jio's work. 


Flora is taken advantage of by a con man who wants her to find a rare flower on a country estate. Knowing her family desperately needs the money Flora agrees and leaves her life in New York to go to England and be a nanny. There she falls in love with the four children and struggles to accept that she must betray the family she has grown to love.


Addison agrees to a vacation with her husband who wants to visit the historic manor his parents bought. Wanting to escape her past Addison quickly agrees and is enthralled by the mystery of the overgrown garden.


Both girls had enough distinction that they were easy to tell apart. I liked Addison better she seemed less Mary Sue then Flora. However I liked the mystery that Flora was solving more then the mysteries Addison was trying to figure out. The writing was smooth and totally PG which was highly appreciated. The ending felt rushed which was a shame since I wanted the overall mysteries fleshed out more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment