Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Death of Mrs. Westaway

 

The Death of Mrs. Westaway was in the local free library and since I had read other books by the author I figured I would give it a try. 


At her wits end Hal is trying to figure out what to do, she is not making enough money reading fortunes at the pier but the loan shark wont wait for a payment. Worrying about being behind on the rent, power bill, and wondering how she will eat Hal finds her salvation in a letter. The letter is a notice of death of her grandmother who seems to have left her some sort of inheritance. Knowing she is not the woman's granddaughter Hal decides it is worth the risk to go and try to get some money to at least pay off the loan shark and her growing electrical bill. Instead of some easy money Hal finds a nightmare of lies, dark secrets, and hidden twists as she navigates the dark halls of the manor. 


It is really hard to put into words how I feel about The Death of Mrs. Westaway. The ending left something to be desired with characters that felt odd and badly written. Yet despite this I kept reading to try to figure out the secrets but when the secrets were slowly revealed they all seemed lackluster and disappointing. I am not sure I will try another Ruth Ware story since the pacing reminded me a lot of how The Woman in Cabin 10 was and I do not enjoy the best part of the story being the last couple of chapters. I want the whole story to be interesting and entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment