Friday, July 17, 2020

The Leaving

The cover of The Leaving caught my attention so I read the back and it sounded interesting. Sadly I ended up being highly disappointed.

It starts out with five kids who disappeared eleven years ago being left in the middle of no where in the middle of the night. The only thing they know is their name and each one has a map in their pocket. Right away the kids figure out the map must be to their home and all follow the way home. Despite five kids being returned you only have the point of view of two of the five returned teens is crazy. For some odd reason the child who did not return has a younger sister who has points of view as well.

Nothing is ever really explained just a jumble of thoughts and possibilities. I kept waiting for the actual plot line of the story to start but it never seemed to happen. I am not even sure what was really going on with the kids even after the big reveal. Key aspects were left out and all in all it felt like a badly kept journal the three kids were keeping.

I also did not like the formatting. It made no sense, random things were thrown in such as / and large gaps like the character was thinking but not. The book was broken down into days which was an interesting concept but then the kids points of views jumped around so much I had trouble keeping up, I would have preferred anything but the system that was used to indicate a new kids point of view was occurring.  Bold name, an indent, an underline, just something easier on the eyes to make the transition smoother between points of view. Since I did not care at all for the writing style I will not be pursing more work by Tara Altebrando.

No comments:

Post a Comment