Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Couple Next Door

I grabbed The Couple Next Door from a a second hand store while browsing one day. Since I was without my tablet I was looking for something entertaining but not a heavy read.

After attending a dinner party at the next door neighbors Anne and Marco come home to discover their six month old daughter, Cora, is gone. Horrified that they left their baby while at the duplex next door the couple calls the police and a whirlwind of an investigation begins. With almost no leads and no suspects the police have their work cut out for them.

The mother, Anne, is clearly distraught and so out of it that it is hard to see her as a grieving mother. Instead of being proactive in finding Cora Anne prefers to sit around tearing herself up for leaving Cora alone while at the dinner party.

Marco is the calmer of the two parents and far more proactive in trying to find out what happened to Cora and where she is. It does start to feel like Marco goes in circles and runs into more problems then solutions as he searches for Cora.

I love how the story started off with a bang and really caught my attention right away. A couple parts were on the slower side but I never got to a point where I did not want to stop reading the story. The only reason I did not give five stars is that I was not overly fond of the ending. It was too open and feels like it could have set up for another story despite the story clearly being done.

No comments:

Post a Comment