Friday, August 2, 2019

Geisha, A Life

Geisha, A Life was put on my to read list after I saw it while browsing the library and wanting to read about more modern Japanese traditions. I really do not know what to say about Geisha, the writing style was a bit odd. Sometimes it read like a story and other times more like a report.

Mineko Iwasaki certainly had an interesting life and was clearly determined to live her life her own way. While I liked Iwasaki I also felt like I did not really see her despite reading her biography. Taking into account that Japanese people would understand the culture Iwasaki is a bit naive in approaching other cultures. I constantly got traditional words and names mixed up. Even with the word having a definition the first time it appeared a glossary was sorely needed. Despite the flaws I did enjoy Geisha and was happy for more insight into Japanese culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment