Friday, May 31, 2019

White Chrysanthemum

A friend gave me a large box full of books to read and return. White Chrysanthemum was the first one I pulled out of the box. I hesitated when I read the description since I do not tend to like stories that deal with two different people in two different time periods.

Hana loves her life as a haenyeo and the freedom it provides her. All that changes when a Japanese solider shows up on the beach. In order to protect her younger sister, Emi, Hana distracts the solider and is taken thus saving Emi. The journey of Hana as she is sent to be a "comfort woman" for the Japanese soldiers is powerful but sad.

Emi saved by her elder sister struggles with accepting that and blames herself for Hana's capture. Now an elderly lady she continues her quest of finding her sister even after all these years. 

I was surprised this was a debut novel since it was so well written, I see seasoned authors struggle to write with the flow and grace Bracht demonstrated. I was highly interested in the story and learning the history of these tormented women. I cannot wait to see what other treasures are in the box of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment