Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Big Little Lies

I have had Big Little Lies on my radar for awhile. When my old boss said she read it and I would not like it I knew I just had to read it. Happily she was incorrect and I enjoyed the unique writing style.

It did take me a bit to figure out how the writing flowed since the story just jumps right into the police investigation. I do like how small hints and testimony was given throughout each chapter. It was like two stories were being told at once.

Madeline was a fun character with lots of personality. She had no problem saying what was on her mind no matter the consequences and clearly cared deeply for anyone she considered a friend. Unfortunately for Madeline her ex-husband has to be front and center with his new wife rubbing in that he is a better father now making Madeline bitter.

Celeste reminds me of a wall flower, quiet and beautiful. While seemingly having the perfect life she struggles to appear to be happy and composed. Determined to maintain the facade of a everything going well Celeste plays a dangerous game that risks her perfect life.

Jane is young and inexperienced as a mother but she is determined to give her son a fresh start that will lead to a happily ever after for the two of them. However this goes seriously array when her little boy is accused of being a bully. 

These three women seemingly have nothing in common yet everything in common as they deal with life's issues. The writing was fresh and never boring despite talking about mundane things at times. While I did enjoy Big Little Lies and would not mind reading more of Liane Moriarty's work I do need to be in the mood to enjoy this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment