Saturday, November 17, 2018

Puddin'

Puddin' is the second book in the Dumplin' series and I was not sure I wanted to read it at first. However when I was loading up my Nook for a road trip I saw it was available at the local library so I check it out and I am glad I did.

Millie dreams of attending summer broadcast camp and finally ditching out on the weight lose Daisy camp however her mother has different ideas for her. Determined to have the world accept her as she is Millie ignores her mother's desire for her to be thin and continue to try to diet and lose weight. Millie is a strong character who despite being bullied for her she looks does not hold it against people. When her uncle's gym is trashed by some angry teenage girls Millie is key in identifying one of the girls and as a punishment the girl is forced to work at the gym to pay off her debt.

Callie has it all, she is next in line to lead the Shamrocks as captain, has a hot boyfriend, and is determined to help her team attend state and then nationals. Living the good life she loses it all when she participates in vandalizing a local gym. Horrified at being discovered she takes the fall for the team and is forced to work at the gym along with Millie, whom she has bullied most of her life.

The two girls learn about differences and how to overcome them. I loved the real life interactions between Millie and Callie. I could see the conversations happening. Julie Murphy has a smooth and pleasant ability when it comes to writing. One thing bothers me though I want to know why Malik sat with Millie, he did not seem like the type of person who was incapable of sitting in a regular desk like the other students. I would not be against reading another companion novel in the Dumplin' series.

No comments:

Post a Comment