Saturday, November 5, 2022

 

The Overnight Guest was randomly chosen from the local elibary. I am not sure what I expected really but everything about the story was surprising. 


I did not like how the first part had nothing really to do with the story it just seemed out of place and odd that the character appeared once then disappeared. It did not fit with the overall dynamitic of the story in my opinion. Also I was not a fan of the jumping around and then the font changing for certain characters point of view. It distracted me from reading. Despite that I did read the story quickly.


Josie is the only survivor of a horrible night, two dead parents, a missing brother, and her best friend all gone in an instant. Injured and deeply traumatized Josie just wants to forget but deep down she blames herself for what happened. If only she had held Becky's hand a bit tighter maybe they both would have escaped. 


Then you have Wiley who just wants to hide from her problems and not face the difficulties of raising a teenage boy. Running from her family Wiley is hiding out in an old farm house finishing her current book. Nothing really remarkable stands out about her.


The last character is a silent one a little girl who does not speak except to her mother and not her father who is horrible to her. Scared to death of her father she just obeys him and does her best to ignore his mean temperament. 


Everything jumps around a lot but the story does still flow fairly well. Some of the characters just seemed oddly out of place like the dogs. They never really seemed to serve a purpose or do anything except be in the way which was annoying. I did figure out parts of the mystery but other parts surprised me a little bit. Not a bad story just not my favorite type to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment