Wednesday, April 13, 2022

False Witness

 

While browsing the e-library looking for a book I saw False Witness and the cover intrigued me. 


Harleigh and Callopie are both used to having a hard life. With a mother that care more about money and less about being a mother the two girls both get jobs at a young age. Unfortunately for both of them the father of the boy they babysit for is a child predator. These incidents clearly messed up both girls for life as they struggle with their own problems in adulthood. 

Harleigh has legally changed her name to Leigh to leave the horrors of her childhood behind, now a rising attorney she has a lot going for her until an old friend shows up. Horrified to see the young boy she use to babysit accused of a brutal rape Leigh wants to refuse the case but knows she cannot. Her horror continues as she slowly begins to think that Andrew knows what happened the night his father disappeared.

Callie never ever recovered from her time in high school, from being raped by her employer to a cheerleading accident her life has been one problem after another. Now a serious drug addict Callie just wants to wallow in the relief drugs provide to forget about the pain in her broken body. That dream is destroyed when her estranged sister shows up and says someone knows their secret.

I am honestly not sure why I kept reading since I did not like the writing style nor did I like the main characters. Both characters came off as brutally hard to like, they kept making the same mistakes and reverting to the same way of handling things. Eventually I did get to where I skimmed the story since it felt like every part about Callie was about her various methods of shooting up drugs which I had no interest in reading about. It was my fault for thinking this was more a mystery when it is really more of a thriller, no real mystery to any part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment