Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Tattooist of Auschwitz

 

I have wanted to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz since I saw it in the bookstore when it was released. I knew it would be sad but I am strong believer of those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.


Lale volunteers to do with the Nazi's when it is ordered for his family to give up one male over 18. Since his brother has a wife and kids Lale goes. Hoping to buy his way into an easy job Lale takes a lot large amount of money with him along with precious books in a suitcase. Sadly none of those thing will help Lale as he is taken to Auschwitz where he is forced into manual labor. Soon Lale falls ill but the other prisoners risk nursing him back to health and shortly after that Lale meets the current Tattoist who wants to teach Lale the trade. Proficient in several languages Lale is a good choice for the job since he can speak to most of the prisoners. I do not want to give away the rest of the story so I will leave it at that.


The writing flowed nicely and not once was I confused or needing clarification on what was occurring. Haunting, heartbreaking, and traumatizing Morris spins Lale's story into a portrayal of hope. It is proof that good people did exist and did what they could to help even at the risk of their own safety. I have no doubt the story will stay with me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment