Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Orchardist

 

The Orchardist was given to me by a friend since I am struggling to find reading material with the library closed. 

The story was strange, sad, and not really to my liking. The part I did like is being familiar with the locations in the story. That helped me paint a more vivid picture of the surroundings which played an important role in the story. 

Talmadge is happy living a quiet life on his orchard tending to the trees and selling his harvest for a fair sum in town. His life is turned upside down when two young pregnant girls steal his fruit. Feeling like they need someone to watch out for them Talmadge starts feeding the girls and looking out for them. What develops is an odd friendship where neither side really trusts the other. 

If I had not been so desperate for reading material I would have abandoned The Orchardist, it just was not my style of book at all. The writing was fine and well edited but the pace did not work out for my taste. I also did not like the manner in which characters were jumped from but I must say it was one of the better jobs of making clear that a new character was being spoken about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment