Friday, July 19, 2019

The Archietect's Apprentice

The Architect's Apprentice was one of the books in the box my friend lent me. When I saw Elif Shafak was the author I almost passed on it but I am glad I did not.

Jahan was an interesting character, without a father and a step father he resents he is happy to accompany the white elephant he has named Chota to Istanbul and the Sultan's menagerie. With luck and hit wits Jahan works hard to survive in the palace, far too honest for the palace games Jahan struggles to fit in properly. Finally offered a proper education at the palace school Jahan begins to excel at his passion drawing. Unable to draw the likeness of anyone he funnels his efforts into drawing blueprints of building.

Oddly enough I really enjoyed the writing style and character development. Since I disliked a previous book by Elif Shafak I had sort of written the author off my to read list, I may have to rethink that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment