Saturday, January 12, 2019

A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I received an advanced reader copy of A Curse so Dark and Lonely in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Harper comes off quickly as a girl who likes to do the right thing and help people out no matter what the cost to her. In a way I felt like Harper was constantly trying to prove to herself she was worth while despite being born with cerebral palsy. While it seems like Brigid Kemmerer wanted Harper's cerebral palsy to be a key point I did not really see it fitting into the story much at all, no one seemed bothered by Harper walking in a different way in a country primitive with medicine. I kept expecting someone to say something superstitious about Harper's difference. Despite this I really did enjoy Harper, she felt like a real person and someone I would enjoy being friends with.

Rhen is a really complicated character, handsome and stunning he is clearly used to getting his way. Tormented from decades of being under a curse he seems to lose himself in his mind and care less about the reality of his kingdom. Distraught from his own pain, grief, and the memories that haunt him Rhen seems unhuman at times and several times I was wondering if the curse was to make Rhen love not a girl fall in love with Rhen.

Grey was a complicated character, clearly of strong moral fiber Grey took his job as the Prince's guard as his whole being. I liked Grey the best in a lot of ways, while it was hard to read his personality it was clear he has strong character, a sense of duty, and faith in the Prince finally breaking the curse.

The writing was elegant, smooth, lovely, and entangling as the plot line twisted around before coming full circle. I could not get enough, the words called to me taunting me to risk reading later and later into the night. While I know the story of Beauty and the Beast well I was very happy and surprised with the new twists and concepts Kemmerer introduced. While A Curse so Dark and Lonely did have a nice ending and felt like a stand alone I was excited seeing Kemmerer post that their will be a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment