Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Flight of Gemma Hardy

The Flight of Gemma Hardy was a delightful read that I had a hard time putting down.

Having lost both her parents at a young age Gemma is taken in by her uncle and aunt. Upon the death of her uncle her aunt treats her as nothing more then an annoyance and finally sends her off to boarding school as a working girl. Determined to learn all she can Gemma works as hard as possible while using every free moment she has to study.

While I did like the story I did have some problems in parts. The first half seemed like a faster pace reading and parts of the second part drug a bit. Even though it is a retelling of Jane Eyre I did not feel like I was ever re-reading Jane Eyre. The writing was elegant and well done, I never stumbled wondering what was going on or was confused about which character was which.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't think about the harsh treatment of Jane Eyre until you wrote about it. When books drag, it makes me so upset. Glad I don't run into those books too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Tea. Having a book drag is frustrating. Even worse when the first part of the book is amazing and wonderfully paced before it gets slower. I keep reading usually waiting for it to pick up again. Sometimes it happens others times sadly it does not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete