Thursday, April 20, 2023

 

Like many other people I did Kickstarter for Mr. Sanderson's four secret books. Tress of the Emerald Sea was the first book released. 


I believe I have read some of the novels in the cosmere universe but I do tend to struggle with them. I am not really sure why since I do enjoy Mr. Sanderson's story telling. Tress's story was no exception, at times I struggled and had to step away from the story. 


One of my favorite overall things is the chapters had titles, I love chapter titles. I also appreciated how the chapter titles font color changed as the story progressed. 


Despite being part of the Cosmere Universe Tress's story is stand alone. I really like Tress, she showed a lot of growth and clearly did not want to conform to the social norms of the time. Despite this I do see Tress as coming off as too powerful and overcoming things easily at times. Yet every time an obstacle occurred Tress continued to make the same mistake of trying to tackle it herself despite having friends who were eager to help her. 


It is clear that Mr. Sanderson is not big on writing love stories and this was partly a love story. I do like that he tried and thought of keeping a fairy tale feeling despite adding in some twists of his own. At times the story did drag on and I struggled to continue to reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment