Friday, July 27, 2018

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Sword Princess

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Sword Princess was a delightful find at a local pop culture convention I attended. What makes it even better is Suzette Hollingsworth is a local author. I love supporting local authors!

I was intrigued by the idea of the legendary Sherlock Holmes having a crush on someone besides Irene Adler and I wondered what kind of character could possibly live up to Holme's vast expectations. Hollingsworth did not a disappoint in creating a well rounded, unique character, full of sass and spirit. Mirabella was an excellent well developed character who I would love to have a cup of tea with and talk about life. Raised on a farm as a hard working girl she moves in with her aunt who happens to be the landlady for the building where Holmes lives. Needing a job Mirabella agrees to work for Holmes doing everything from tiding up his study to cooking his meals. Dreaming of going to the university to go study science Mirabella impresses Holmes with her scientific mind and exceptional knowledge about a scientific laboratory. 

After a couple chapters I was hooked and even when I was not reading I was thinking about the story and what would happen next. Mrs. Hollingsworth wrote a well rounded story that neatly tied up all the pieces of the mystery while leaving room for the next story to be slipped into place. The historical aspects were honored and I loved the part at the end presenting information about people who really lived and were represented in the story. I cannot wait to pick up Sherlock Holmes and the Dancing Tiger. I am eager to see how the relationship between Mirabella and Holmes develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment